My name is Jaslyn. Since GE06, I have been following closely to SDP’s news. I realised that SDP is a party that dares speak up against the government for their unfair and unjust policies and offer solutions to those policies. Even though the government has repeatedly prosecuted and bankrupted them, they continue to speak for us.
During SDP”s “Tak Boleh Tahan” campaign, from a supporter, I have since became a part of them.
A few years ago in a ladies toilet, I saw these words scribble in one of the cubicle, “Singaporeans are the most obedient citizens in the world”. What the person wrote is correct. when the price of GST, HDB, COE, bus fare and even the PAP’s ministers salaries are escalated to a ridiculous high, instead of voicing out their unhappiness to the govt, Singaporeans take on more jobs to try to make ends meet. 1 job can’t sustain, they take on 2 jobs, 2 jobs can’t sustain, they take on 3 jobs. End of the day, we are all working hard just to put rice on the table and have a roof over our head for our family. Is this what PAP claim ours is “Swiss standard of living”?
There is a Hokkien song that goes “30% is determine by God, 70% depends on your handwork, and if you work hard you will win”, but in Singapore context, it’s we work hard, PAP win! Don’t you all agree?
Because of Pap’s policies, our cost of living has gone up but quality of living has gone down.
As a mother of 2 young children, allow me to show you since ge06, how PAP has made our life even harder.
1) GST was raised from 5-7%, reasons given is to help the poor. When the government hand out GST rebates, our children are forgotten. As parents of young children, milk powder, childcare fees and medical fees make up the bulk of our expenses. The government on 1 hand encourage couple to give procreate but yet did not factor in the cost of these expenses when handling out the rebates.
2) In 2008, govt announced the increase in childcare subsidy , from the original $75/$150 to $150/$300 as part of baby bonus to encourage more to give birth. However, when the childcare centers took that opportunity to increase their childcare fees, parents approached MCYS for help only to be told that childcare fees are not under their privy. So what’s the point of giving us subsidy when in actual fact we parents are not benefitting but passing the money from one hand to the other.
3) My son started his P1 this year, and that is how I found out about our unhealthy educational system. Our system forces many kiasu parents to prepare their kids for P1 syllabus even before they start their primary school education. This causes our primary school teachers to have unrealistic expectation of primary school kids. parents either have to teach their kids or send them for tuition.
To many students, our school syllabus are too taxing for them, parents have no choice but to send their kids for tuition in order for them to catch up with the school’s syllabus, this not only added unnecessary stress to kids but also is also a financial burden to parents. Education should be a fun learning progress, but it has since became a stressful chore for them. Such a system robs our children off their childhood.
Our kids not only have to compete with foreigners for a place in school, when they are out from school, they still have to compete with the foreigners for jobs. Our children and youth are feeling the stress and we can see that childhood and youth suicides are on the rise. We have to stop all this from happening.
I have on many occasions try to help the poor and the elderly with my own means, especially those elderly who need to pick up cardboard boxes and cans for a living, but I have since realize that the root cause of poverty especially among the elderly are due to PAP’s policies. I realize that in order to solve all these social issues, we have to stand up against the government, let us vote out the PAP and support SDP in this coming election.
I would like to urge everyone here, please support SDP, every TND or magazines you purchase, you can help SDP in this coming election to put up a good fight. SDP also need volunteers, for those that wish to make history with us, please come forward to the booth on my left and sign up as volunteers.
Last but not least, for this coming elections, may I urge all voters especially parents like me, to stand with me and SDP to tell the PAP that,
1) we are not your money making tools,
2) give our children back their childhood
Victory to SDP!